Monday 2 April 2012

Where is My Finger………………!


Technology was developed as a means of improving the world and also helping every aspect of our lives. One of the interesting and contentious areas of technology use is in security. A lot of arguments have been made on whether technology is a security plus or another invention to escalate our security concerns.
Interestingly, my fingers are itching following the various thumb printing sessions I have encountered as a Nigerian. I had my finger print for the INEC registration, National ID Card, Nigeria immigration, GSM SIM card registration and will soon be asked to finger print for my drivers’s license. The fact is my finger is tired! The same finger spent over two years in the UK and only printed at Heathrow.
So many questions bother my mind. But the chief of it is my curiosity to know “where the prints of my fingers are?” Every government in the world normally disclose the service that manages their data and even go as far as making it available over every aspect of governance and even for the private sector in case of verification.
The only thing close to knowing where my finger print was kept is the display of some server rack during INEC registration advertisement. My heart bleeds because a very unique part of me is kept in a place I cannot tell my children or even boast of with my friends across the globe. As a nation, I know we have our challenges. But, finger print records should properly be managed because of its importance and even the possibility of malicious use by unscrupulous officials.
If security was at the base of taking biometric details of Nigerian citizens, I am still waiting to hear a landmark case where forensics pitch biometric record of a citizen with the evidence extracted from a crime scene.
What would have convinced me as an IT expert is prosecution based on the forensics findings from illegal ballot papers during election tribunal. My finger would have identified me if I stole ballot boxes or thumb print numerous times (still the same finger print). With the records from all these places I have dropped my finger prints, I will definitely be identified within 5 minutes. I am waiting for a day which we can use all this white elephant projects for purposeful societal benefit.
Also, my finger bothers why a single finger print is not enough to identify me.  Sometimes, I am lost for answer but my right side of brain suggests maybe my finger print can change as a Nigerian (LOL!). In essence, I think the current places where my finger print is should be publicly announced and also my finger should be spared of the stress by harmonizing the numerous duplication of my finger. Please my finger is complaining!

This piece is a direct (Uncensored) anger at the continuous finger printing in Nigeria by D-GITZ Media. Follow us on twitter handle @originaldgitz and D-GITZ Media friends group on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment